The do's and don'ts of employment contracts
- Notice clauses: When do you inform the board you're leaving?
- Building a legal case for breach of contract
- Contract poison pills and golden handcuffs both challenge CEOs
- Severance deals add up for some former CEOs, top staffers
- CEO Update LIVE: Time is money when considering severance terms
- Performance pay included more often in CEO contracts
- Severance scenarious range from nasty divorce to a 'goodbye kiss'
- CEO perks trends toward cash or tools to boost productivity
- Allies are key when dealing with a compensation panel
- Contracts becoming more common but boards scrutinize compensation
- Many association CEOs are lacking employment agreements, severance
- Where execs can turn for contract help
- Salary Update: Severance typically four to nine months of base pay, but not guaranteed
- With many ways to write contracts, have yours tailored to specific needs
- Contract checklist for new association CEOs
- General (Sterling Martin)
- CEO friendly (Venable)
- Organization friendly (Venable)
- General (Venable)
- General (Shaw Pittman)
Before signing a contract, be sure to do your homework and to ask the right questions
about governance, finance, membership and more.
See CEO Update's checklist