Noteworthy events in the association community, including educational and networking functions as well as legislative fly-ins.
Asking the right questions about a new organization is a crucial step for executives in transition. CEO Update maintains a continually updated Due Diligence document that lists important items that merit attention before signing a final employment contract.
CEO Update regularly reports on executive employment contracts, including terms, benefits, evaluation, renewal, termination and severance. Advice from attorneys, recruiters and CEOs themselves is valuable for all executives, particularly those negotiating their first contract.
- Employment agreements set tone for entire tenure
- Severance clauses aim at protecting both board and CEO
- For security, have performance evaluations in your contract
- Contract checklist for a new association CEO
Ask the recruiter
A regular feature of CEO Update, Ask the recruiter addresses common questions and issues executives encounter during the job search and hiring process. Recruiters, the gatekeepers for many high-profile searches, share tips, advice and real-life examples of candidate blunders and successes. If you have a question you would like us to pose, email email@example.com
- Some of my executive peers are working without written employment contracts. Should I insist on one?
- How much personal information should I include on my LinkedIn profile?
- As a jobseeker within my association, how can I get on a recruiter's radar?
- What's the most effective way to do due diligenece on a prospective association employer?
- Should I hire my own consuel to negotiate my contract and salary
For additional advice from executive recruiters, visit Careers.
CEO Update receives many inquiries from job-seeking subscribers asking for advice on connecting with executive recruiters. With search firms handling more senior-level searches at associations/nonprofits every year, relationships with recruiters can be key.