Noteworthy events in the association community, including educational and networking functions as well as legislative fly-ins.
Asking the right questions about a new organization is a crucial step for executives in transition. CEO Update maintains a continually updated Due Diligence document that lists important items that merit attention before signing a final employment contract.
CEO Update regularly reports on executive employment contracts, including terms, benefits, evaluation, renewal, termination and severance. Advice from attorneys, recruiters and CEOs themselves is valuable for all executives, particularly those negotiating their first contract.
- With many ways to write contracts, have yours tailored to specific needs
- Employment agreements set tone for entire tenure
- Severance clauses aim at protecting both board and CEO
- For security, have performance evaluations in your contract
- Contract checklist for a new association CEO
Ask the recruiter
A regular feature of CEO Update, Ask the recruiter addresses common questions and issues executives encounter during the job search and hiring process. Recruiters, the gatekeepers for many high-profile searches, share tips, advice and real-life examples of candidate blunders and successes. If you have a question you would like us to pose, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- I am looking for effective CEO resume samples. Would you suggest ways to find modern looks that are still very professional?
- Do executive recruiters have a short list of names they come back to again and again? How can I get on that short list?
- Should I consider hiring an executive coach to prepare me for interviews?
- What are some good questions to ask during my interview with the recruiter?
- How do I handle a request for salary requirements in my cover letter?
- Some of my executive peers are working without written employment contracts. Should I insist on one?
- How much personal information should I include on my LinkedIn profile?
- As a jobseeker within my association, how can I get on a recruiter's radar?
- What's the most effective way to do due diligenece on a prospective association employer?
- Should I hire my own counsel to negotiate my contract and salary?
For additional advice from executive recruiters, visit Careers.
CEO Update receives many inquiries from job-seeking subscribers asking for advice on connecting with executive recruiters. With search firms handling more senior-level searches at associations/nonprofits every year, relationships with recruiters can be key.
- Association/nonprofit recruiters
- Working with search firms
- Recruiters give potential recruits pointers about working with recruiters
Executive recruiter profiles
- Ivan Adler, The McCormick Group
- Jackie Arends, Spencer Stuart
- Paul Belford, JDG Associates
- Pat Friel, Heidrick & Struggles
- Denise Grant, Russell Reynolds Associates
- Lorraine Lavet, Korn/Ferry International
- Pete Metzger, CTPartners
- Nels Olson, Korn/Ferry International
- Leonard Pfeiffer, Leonard Pfeiffer and Company